Tom Demko Rambles

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Incredible!

in·cred·i·ble

adj.
1. So implausible as to elicit disbelief: gave an incredible explanation of the cause of the accident.

2. Astonishing: dressed with incredible speed.

Why do so many people use this word in definition mode two? Why not "dressed at ludicrous speed"? Advertising loves the word: "incredible" prices...I guess they want to avoid "very low" or "sub-zero" or "angstromian" (ok...I made that one up) prices. Perhaps they mean to say "deceptively low pricing with poor values", but you can't fault advertisers, criminals or politicians for a view of truth outside the realm of Newtonian reality. Frankly, I'm weary of this word stifling our imaginations.

Just look at it! IN (Not) Credible. Every time I hear it, I think, hmmmmmm, no credibility, so I figure whatever comes next has high probability of being false. I could circulate a petition to abolish the second definition, but I'm so inf-ingcredibly lazy I won't. Incredibly, I might boycott the word, but then I don't use it anyway, I prefer "fantastic". Well, I've run out of steam, so I'll conclude, incredibly enough, I might need to start taking my meds.

Fantastic!

1 Comments:

  • As an atheist, let me just say that miracles are incredible - as in not believable garbage. As Dawkins said, if you are brought up to value faith - believing with no evidentce - I guess you will be swayed by not credible statements from others.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home