Tom Demko Rambles

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Borg Cell Phone Implants

Today at the supermarket a woman was shopping and softly talking to herself. I quickly realized she was not with us, she was conversing on a hands free cell phone. A growing number of people are tuning out and logging on. I term them "borg", 'cause of the implant looking hardware, and the fact they are "networked". We more and more create our own realities, with technologies of communications, Ipods, and mass suburbia. A guy I talked with at a coffee shop reflected the greatest technology impacts of this century were the computer, communications, and birth control. I'll add comfortable wealth to the list.

It's a wonderful new world, where we are the masters of our destinies, selecting friends and lovers and careers and sensual stimulation at our whims. Multitasking is existentialism to the nth degree, and no one has enough time anymore. So we maximize effeciency by running like fast rats and playing hard and living hard.

I feel a little like Andy Rooney, preferring to stay focused and live in the moment of a reality I pretend not to create. When things are too hectic I believe there's not a lack of time, but lack of priorities. I'm thinking of getting some of the blue-toothed gadgets, but don't want to trade watching a flock of ducks quacking across the sky on a cold, sunny winter's day for a handful of dollars.

1 Comments:

  • Ding ding ding ding! ANDY ROONEY!

    I recently watched the Andy Rooney segment of 60 minutes just so I'd understand the next Andy Rooney reference. It worked! I get it!

    By Blogger Colby, at 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home