Tom Demko Rambles

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Childhood

I should never have grown up. Pity. I was so happy as a child. (Antoine de Saint Exupery).

Talking to a friend of mine, I came up with the idea of generating a short list for this blog called "Rules of engagement for marriage". He laughed, I figured it would be so easy, given my clarity of thought since I've never been married.

Except, how do two different minds co-exist together? One wants to go one direction, one another. God, I'm bored! Sure, it's easy in the beginning, but how do people sustain? When alone, simply do what you want to be happy (though after enough time, loneliness is painful). Remaining true to a partner who appears uninterested is just like being alone, together. (read painful)

Even if one partner forfeits, the other is hurt by unhappiness that is impossible to hide. I don't suppose it's possible to not grow up. I don't imagine sulking or withdrawal are the solutions. I sense the key is communication...

2 Comments:

  • The happiest time of your life is the period you're currently not in. When a child, we want to be grownups. When single, we wish to be married. When married, single again. If we have no children, we wish for them. After we have them, we can't wait for them to leave.
    Live life, enjoy the times, the good and the bad. Nothing is 100% good or bad. Learn to enjoy the moment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:07 PM  

  • Well said, not easy to do...misery is often like a comfy chair...familiar, hmmmmm, I'm not sure I want to share my misery...I want it all for myself.

    Perhaps we can break the cycle by ignoring whining and crying children until they cheer up...

    By Blogger Tom Demko, at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home