Tom Demko Rambles

Saturday, April 01, 2006

James Bond Bike Ride Adventure

I rode my bike from Cromwell to Hartford the other day, visiting the Wadsworth Antheneum and lunching with my sister. After a truly delish lunch, and sauntering through the museum, Rodin being the featured artist, I began the 15 mile trek home.

Nice weather, warm day, relatively flat terrain, an easy ride. I completed the first leg through harrowing traffic of Hartford and Northern Wethersfield, now riding the relaxing back roads paralleling Silas Dean Highway when "clink". I lost drive train and coasted to a stop.

I surveyed the damage, broken chain, link pin missing. Possible sabotage. I was about 5 miles from my Rocky Hill bike shop, Cycling Concepts, no others near I know of. I dismounted and walked back and forth, searching for the missing pin to no avail. I resigned myself to walk a bit, and search for a temporary fix on the side of the road.

I was ok for food and water, a couple blocks east of me. I had cell phone communications, good neighborhood, so I wasn't in much danger. Plenty daylight to walk home. I coasted down a hill, walking the bike on the flats.

It wasn't long before I invoked my James Bond training. Passing under a bridge I found a piece of car tire, which contained strands of steel wire. I unwrapped a few strands.




I threaded the chain onto the bike gears and joined the links with steel wire, tying the wire on the outside of the chain to keep the joint out of the gears, and wrapping enough strands to withstand the tension for the trip to the bike shop, which would go up a couple hills.

unfortunately. my hands were filthy by now, which never seems to happen to Bond, no matter what, he never gets schmutzig. Hmmmmmm.

As I tested my engineering, James Bond theme music began playing around me. I built up speed, being careful not to over-stress the repair. By the time I reached the final hill, I was confident I would make it. Soon, the bike shop mechanic, "D" was putting on a new chain and replacing a worn gear cassette. I overheard the name "MacGyver" used to describe me, and naturally I became furious and killed everyone in the bike shop with hand to hand combat and using various bike parts as weapons (no...not really).

"I hate MacGyver! My names Bond, I mean Demko, Tom Demko...."

1 Comments:

  • Holy shit, that is ridiculous. I would have cried and phoned my mommy.

    By Blogger Colby, at 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home