Tom Demko Rambles

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Swim Goggles

I'm taking swim lessons, and am now the proud owner of a pair of swimming goggles.

They are in my estimation, superfine, enabling me to see where I'm going, one of three of my current impediments to swimming.

The other two? Well, there's breathing. Breathing whilst immersed in air is relatively easy, though it's 79% Nitrogen. Just contract your trusty diaphragm and air is drawn into the lungs. Relax and you exhale. I've found it unadvisable to breathe underwater as the lungs aren't designed to work with H2O. Fortunately, air is just above the surface of the water, it's a matter of getting your mouth above it. Exhaling underwater and emptying the lungs is a bit of a conditioning trick, which I haven't yet mastered. I keep running out of breath the first lap or so, and reach a point of psychological panic. (well, there's stuff to hang onto in pool, how bad can it get?)

Beyond the breathing/lung capacity issue is the muscle issue. My swimming leg and arm muscles are flabby, weak girlie-man variety, atrophied by years of non use and thousands of slices of cheesy-cake. It's time to "pump" them up!

Though it might be easier to modify my body with prescription swim goggles, Darth Vader's breathing apparatus, and motorized fins, in the meantime I'll immersed in the Y's swimming pool, aspirating chlorinated water and vomiting the pizza and cheesecake I eat for lunch...

1 Comments:

  • It's time to "pump" them up!

    This above line must be read with Schwarzenegger accent. I think mom is having the same sort of problems with swimming.

    By Blogger Colby, at 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home